Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

Disappearing Nine Patch

Selecting fabrics for the nine patches
 Good morning!  I spend the better part of Saturday afternoon trying to fathom the mystery of the 'Disappearing Nine Patch'. This is a quilt block making technique that I have discovered this past year.  The idea behind the name of this technique, is that a large nine patch block is sewn together, then quartered and the resulting blocks are sewn together in a multitude of ways.
One of my nine patch fabric selections

Another nine patch fabric selection

Laying out the 'quartered nine patch blocks', each large nine patch block is sewn together, then quartered. The smaller blocks can be re-arranged in a multitude of ways.

This would be my 'baby sized' quilt top... I like it.

But look at this!.... this is what I did with some of the 'leftovers', and I like the way this looks....makes me think I will be trying this out again with different fabrics just to see what I can come up with.  Maybe I will constuct a couch cozy quilt for Miss FreshFace's new apartment.
I know that I am very enthusiastic about the new 'modern quilting' which can imply 'wonky' blocks, a bolder choice of colors and themes and most importantly a greater regard for more abstract patterns. So it is reasonable that this new method is becoming more and more popular.  And it is fun!
However, I realize this about myself....I have a need for a bit of 'sense' or order in my quilt patterns otherwise I find myself feeling a bit anxious. Not that I do not love abstract, scrappy quilt blocks, I actually love them (!) but maybe because I can see the sense in them - they are intended to use up bits & pieces of scrap materials which will ultimately be 'squared' up with sashing for a quilt top. 
I think I need to do a bit more exploring/playing around with this technique...the process itself is very satisfying.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! You may need to relax a little Darlene and let the Disappearing Nine Patch be scrappy too - you never know what you'll end up with!

Charline

Darlene Barnes Rosner said...

Charline! It is because you made the suggestion that I make baby-sized quilts! Now I will be sewing up all kinds of patterns- because I will only be making them crib size!

Darlene Barnes Rosner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi

I think the colors of the new Quilt are very intresting. Can you tell me if your fabric store these materials sent to Germany? Because I'm someone who does make patchwork in my neighbor and has always Heaps of fabric in stock.
Lots greetings Anni-chan